Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2017

TRANSFERWARE CHILDREN'S GAMES AND ACTIVITIES



Mid 19th century 2.5 inch child's mug "Blind Man's Buff"

Lots of common children's games appear on transferware plates and mugs: for example, blind man's buff (or bluff) and marbles.
 
Mid 19th century 2.5 inch child's mug "Playing At Marbles"

These games were still common when I was a child in the 1950s, but I wondered if the games are still played today.  I showed my seven year old granddaughter some of the patterns.  She knew about blind man's buff, marbles, charades, leap frog, rope jumping, and kite flying.
  

Child's 6 inch plate with the following text: "Charades/My first is productive of the light/My second to wood has affiance/My whole is high polished and bright/And my first on its aid has reliance/Candle-Stick." Maya didn't feel this was a good example of Charades. 

Child's 2.44 inch mug "Leap Frog"


"Children's Play The Rope" 4.38 inch plate


"Trimming The Kite" 5 inch child's plate

She also knew some top games, although not Whip-Top.


"Whip-Top" 3 inch child's mug

She and I were totally puzzled by Puss in the Corner, so I thought we'd do a bit of research. 


"Puss in the Corner" 2.5 inch child's mug

Wikipedia is my go-to encyclopedia, although I still have my late 1970s set of World Books.  Here's a link to Puss in the Corner.  Maya thought she'd teach the game to her school friends.

She was also unfamiliar with "Thump Away Jack," but she felt "Thump Away Jack" wouldn't and shouldn't be allowed anymore.  I agreed.


Child's 6.25 inch plate"Thump Away, Jack"  The entire verse, which is difficult to see, reads: ""Thump away Jack -- take care of his head/ It's all in good fun -- now hit him hard Ned."

We were both surprised that there were no plates that feature Hop Scotch.  It was such a popular game when I was a child and continues popular today.  However, Maya and I were very happy to see a plate that showed children reading books to one another.

Mid 19th century child's mug featuring children reading aloud

She was shocked last year when I told her there were no iPads when I was a little girl.  Her pity was touching.   However, now that reading is a passion for her, she no longer feels sorry for me.



Although, she does love her apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment