Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

SHELTERED PEASANTS AND SOURCE PRINTS


Shelter'd Peasants 10 inch plate by Ralph Hall, ca. 1825
Shelter'd Peasants mark
One of my many favorite patterns is Sheltered Peasants (or Shelter'd Peasants) by Ralph Hall (1822-1849).  (I always wonder why one letter is often replaced by an apostrophe in the 19th century, when it seems to be as much effort as writing the actual letter!)  The charming bucolic scene which includes a couple, a child and sheep is the same throughout the dinner service.  Like many of the early 19th century British patterns, the scene is copied from a source print.  My good friend, Dora, realized she owned it, so she gave it to me!  The engraver is Anthony Cardon (1772-1813) and the artist is Henry Singleton (1766-1839). 
The Shelter'd Peasants source print, 14 inches by 18 inches, ca. 1799
Imagine my surprise when I found a 19th century needlework at the show and sale of the Transferware Collectors Club's annual meeting in New Hampshire in 2010 with the Sheltered Peasants pattern!  It was beautifully worked in silk and wool on a silk scrim and was framed in bird's eye maple. Of course, I bought it.  
Shelter'd Peasants needlework, 18.5 inches by 16.5 inches



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've seen this as a needlework, but not on a blue & white plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! Wonderful pattern.

    ReplyDelete